Pages

Friday, May 28, 2010

The Girl with the Flowers

Having been a flower girl myself when I was 3, I know that it is a very exciting time in a little girl's life to be asked to be a flower girl in a wedding. There is something so perfect and innocent about a young girl wearing a white dress, flowers in her hair, carrying the tell-tale basket. As whimsical as it all may seem, there is actually an art to choosing and becoming a flower girl.
In choosing my flower girl, I wanted to have a little girl who was of a substantial age, who would take the position with maturity and excitement. I think if the flower girl is too young (I have seen flower girls as young as 6months old being pulled in a wagon down the aisle!) there is a chance of tears and "not wanting" to do the task at hand.
I also wanted a little girl who is very dear to my heart and my family. Typically, a bride chooses a niece, but since I am the oldest I thankfully do not have any nieces or nephews yet!
The very first little girl who came to mind is not a blood relative, although we lovingly refer to her parents as "Aunt Sandy" and "Uncle Pukey". (Naturally, there is a story behind the "Puke-y" party. And naturally it involves me. And it is just way more fun than "Uncle Kevin"!)
Her name is Drew and she is probably the smartest 6 year old I know! She actually reminds me of myself at her age - very talkative, smart, and full of spunk! Not to mention she's adorable, but that goes without saying!
Because the little lady lives in MA, I won't have much contact time with her leading up to the wedding. However, I did send her a card asking her to be the flower girl and she responded with a homemade card accepting and she even drew a picture of a bride for me!
I hope Drew is just as excited as Mike and I are to have her in the wedding party! I'm sure dress shopping in the upcoming months will be very exciting for her. Because she lives on the East Coast, I will be having her and her mother pick out her dress for the wedding. Probably the only requirement I have is that it be Ivory, to match my dress! (My dress is no longer shown on the shop's website for me to send to anyone :(! )
Although, I do LOVE this look.....Ivory Flower Girl Dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment