Pages

Thursday, May 27, 2010

A beautiful UN-VEILING!

What is the first thing that comes to mind when you think of a bride? After the white dress, one typical pictures a beautiful bridal veil. I was a flower girl when I was three in my Aunt Mary's wedding where I had the cutest little white dress. A couple Halloweens later I was still wearing said dress and my mom had made me a lace veil transforming me into....TADA! A bride!
~
Veils have come a long way, even in the past 10 years or so. Just for fun, I decided to look for pictures of veils from brides of the past.
This bride from the 1920's is wearing a Cathedral Veil, the longest and most dramatic of all bridal veils. Notice that the veil is longer than the dress.
~
The style of the 1950's was a lot more modern in the form of a shorter shoulder lenght veil.
~
Although the styles and lengths have varied throughout the years and for all different brides, the significance of the veil stays pretty much the same. Of course a bridal veil has religious significance as a head covering to enter the church. And naturally, we all know the significance of the white colored dress! ;) The wedding veil is intended to show honor to the church, a young woman's parents, and her future husband.
Now, a veil has become more of an accessory for a bride. Every bride is in search of something new and different for their wedding veil; and it must match the dress!
~
I chose to order my veil from a vendor on Etsy, whom was recommended to me by my wedding coordinator, Shannon of Shannon Gail Weddings and Events. Cindy of FascinatingCreations had a sample of a "poof veil" on her Etsy page that I fell in love with. It's definitely something dramatic and "over the top" but I am all of the above! It just shipped today and I am SO excited to recieve it and even more excited to try it on with my dress. (Which unfortunatly will not be until August-ish!) But I will still try it on, wear it around the house, wear it to brunch, the usual. (Have I told you about "Tiara Tuesdays"? I should blog about that! haha)
Here is a sneak preview of the sample of my veil. Of course, mine is custom made so it will be a little bit different. I'm all about surprises and our wedding is full of them! ;)
Here is a "poof veil":

Mine however, will not be Cathedral style as my dress has a lovely train on it that I do not wish to cover....
Here is Cindy's version: (All copyrights to Cindy of Fascinating Creations)

Sigh. I cannot wait to wear my veil! :)

 

1 comment: